SIGNS OF THE END TIMES
In light of the common links between Judeo-Christian and Islamic traditions and teachings, it is interesting to look at what is said regarding the Day of Judgement and the signs of its approach. Judeo-Christian sources mainly consist of the Book of Daniel, Ezekiel, and the Book of Revelations, as well as some scattered sources within other books of the Old and New Testaments.
Islamic sources include the Qur’an and the multiple volumes of the sayings and traditions of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), called ahadith. There are many similarities between what these great traditions say regarding the signs of the Day of Judgement. Even a minimal exposure to Judeo-Christian signs of the End of Time is enough to see that many of the same prophesies exist in the Islamic tradition.
News About the End of the World
An ancient Mayan prophecy supposedly predicts that a day is coming when energy flowing to earth from the stars will be interrupted. The results will be catastrophic, or, more precisely, apocalyptic. Volcanic eruptions will cover the planet in darkness and ash, the sun will be destroyed, and the earth will become lifeless.
The predicted date is December 21, 2012. A Friday.
In the cinematic adaptation of the Mayan prediction titled 2012, and starring John Cusack, a solar flare causes the earth to be bombarded with a massive dose of tiny particles called neutrinos, which heat up the earth’s core. The resulting climate change unleashes natural disasters unlike the world has ever seen, and everyone is killed except for a select group who, having been warned, escape unharmed in specially built “arks.”
Within The Absolute One, called God, all things, male & female person & principle, visible & invisible, animate & inanimate, HERE & NOW must exist simultaneously as well asfunction with absolute precision for the 10zillion of RAM involved in the running of all ingredients in the animated 3-D universe to be in sync. (7-Billion people, their tens of thousands of individual body-functions & states of mind|awareness, movement, relations, circumstances, zillions of animals, insects, fish, birds, all perfectly suited for their specific environment, plant lives, earth-formations, water-distribution, weather-formations, earth, sun, moon, planets, stars…)
According to “science”, which is always a step behind and looks at things from BELOW, the universe (one verse) has existed for “millions of years”, i. e. precisely functioned for a comparable eternity vs 70 years of little hewn man (humans, torsi void of spiritual limbs – Daniel 4:10 to 17).
The notion of “evolution from the lower to the higher”, “chaos”, “randomness”, or “accidents” in any physically observable way must thus be completely irrational from all aspects, and the ignorance involved sickening to the higher mind.
A scary world out there
Hollywood is, well, Hollywood, and therefore few of us are very concerned about the Mayan prediction of a December 21, 2012, doomsday as depicted in the movie. But this doesn’t necessarily mean that people aren’t somewhat worried about the end of the world in general.
One doesn’t have to be a bearded, barefoot “prophet,” walking the streets with a sandwich board that reads, “Repent! The End Is Near!” in order to sense that our earth has seen its better days. After all, we live in a world where there is, it seems, one natural disaster after another: tsunamis that wreak havoc over huge chunks of land, sometimes in several countries; tornadoes and hurricanes that tear up towns; earthquakes that destroy cities; droughts that devastate crops—the list goes on and on.
Some of the world’s most serious thinkers fear that our time here may be more limited than we’d like to imagine. No less a luminary than Dr. Stephen Hawking, arguably the world’s greatest living scientist (Dr. Hawking holds the chair at Cambridge University in England once held by a fellow named Isaac Newton), has warned about the demise of life on earth. For Dr. Hawking, global warming is our biggest threat.
Meeting with college students in Asia, Dr. Hawking said that unless things change (and he’s not optimistic that they will), the earth “might end up like Venus, at 250 degrees centigrade and raining sulphuric acid.” A 250-degree-centigrade world raining sulphuric acid is not going to sustain human life (the only beings that might survive are cockroaches).
In fact, Dr. Hawking said that things are so bad, our only hope is to get off the planet. That is, we need to colonize space, because this old earth just isn’t going to make it much longer. “Life on Earth,” he said, “is at the ever-increasing risk of being wiped out by a disaster such as sudden global warming, nuclear war, a genetically engineered virus or other dangers. . . . I think the human race has no future if it doesn’t go into space.”
Others see it as well. Foreign Policy, one of America’s top journals of international affairs, ran an article called “The End of the World.” Though written in the context of the media hype about the movie 2012, the article started out with words that sounded as if they were lifted from an evangelistic sermon: “While the apocalypse is pretty unlikely to come in 2012, it does have to happen sooner or later. Here are five possible scenarios for the end of the world.”
The article goes on to list what the authors believed were the five most likely catastrophes that could end our existence:
- Climate disaster
- Nuclear war
- The unknown—something that we haven’t yet thought about. For instance, some have feared that the big atom smasher along the Franco-Swiss border could cause an uncontrollable chain reaction that would destroy the planet!
None of these have anything to do with the ancient Mayan prediction of some mysterious energy being interrupted from the stars, or from solar flares, but they do show that “the end of the world” is on people’s minds.
The bigger picture
All the possibilities we have been looking at so far are, in the scheme of things, fairly short term. And they might not happen in the near future. Long term, however, the prospects are much worse—such as, for example, the big freeze.
“The Milky Way,” wrote British physicist Paul Davies, “blazes with the light of a hundred billion stars, and every one of them is doomed. In ten billion years, most that we see now will have faded from sight, snuffed out from lack of fuel. . . . The universe, currently aglow with the prolific energy of nuclear power, will eventually exhaust this valuable resource. The era of light will be forever over.” That’s sobering, to save the least.
Not all scientists, however, expect the universe to end like that. They expect the big crunch instead, when gravity pulls all matter together and the universe collapses into a superhot glob of dense material about the size of an atom. Of course, by the time that happens, we can pretty much assume that life on earth will be long gone.
Then there’s the big rip, when the forces of nature in the cosmos just tear each other apart and we, caught in the middle, are destroyed.
In some of the most famous words of the twentieth century, atheist Bertrand Russell wrote, “That Man is the product of causes that had no prevision of the end they were achieving; that his origin, his growth, his hopes and fears, his loves and his beliefs, are but the outcome of accidental collocations of atoms; that no fire, no heroism, no intensity of thought and feeling, can preserve an individual life beyond the grave; that all the labors of the ages, all the devotion, all the inspiration, all the noonday brightness of human genius, are destined to extinction in the vast death of the solar system; and that the whole temple of Man’s achievement must inevitably be buried beneath the debris of a universe in ruins—all these things, if not quite beyond dispute, are yet so nearly certain, that no philosophy which rejects them can hope to stand.”
The good news
The point in all this is simple: many people, and with some valid reasons, too, fear the end of the world. And the fact is—our worldwill end. But, contrary to what most people think, that end doesn’t have to be bad news. The Bible does indeed predict that our world, as it now exists, will not last forever. The good news, however, is that in its place God will create a new and better world—one without sin, sickness, suffering, and death, all the things that make life on this world so hard, even, at times, miserable.
An ancient biblical prediction says this: “Behold, I will create new heavens and a new earth. The former things will not be remembered, nor will they come to mind” (Isaiah 65:17).
Another says, “Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming. That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat. But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness” (2 Peter 3:11–13).
The Bible and science agree that this world, as it now exists, will not last forever. Science, however—with the exception of far-fetched fantasies about humans getting themselves out of here in spaceships before it’s too late—doesn’t offer us much hope, as the above quote by Bertrand Russell makes clear. In contrast, the Bible, when talking about the end of the world, offers a wonderful hope, a hope found in Jesus, who died for our sins precisely because He wants to give us eternal life in a brand-new world where all the things that make this one so hard will never again arise.
No question, at the second coming of Jesus, this world as we know it will end, and that end will not be good news for those who have rejected God’s saving grace. That grace, however, is still available. It is still being offered to all who will claim it by faith. For these, the coming end of the world will also be the start of something much better.
End Time Signs as per Bible:
According to bible, in the end times, expect widespread deception, counterfeit miracles, and the appearance of false prophets. Each of these evils will contribute to an atmosphere that will deceive an untold number of people throughout the world. The Antichrist, with a fake Jesus as a sidekick, will convince his followers he is the answer to the world’s problems. Paul tells us that those who become caught in the Antichrist’s web of deceit will be guilty because they freely choose to enjoy evil while denying the truth.
END TIME SIGNS
1. False Bible teachers would be money hungry. They would be smooth talkers, have many followers, and slur the Christian faith (2 Peter 2:1-3) See some at: Fakemessiah.com
2. Homosexuality would be increasingly evident at the end of the age (2 Timothy 3:3)
3. Earthquakes would be in diverse places (Matthew 24:7)
4. Stress would be part of living (2 Timothy 3:1)
5. Many wars would erupt (Matthew 24:6)
6. People would forsake the Ten Commandments as a moral code, committing adultery, stealing, lying, and killing (Matthew 24:12)
7. There would be a cold religious system, in denying God’s power (2 Timothy 3:5)
8. Men would substitute fantasy in place of Christian truth (2 Timothy 4:4). This is so evident at Christmas when the birth of the Savior is lost behind the myth of Santa Claus.
9. Deadly diseases would be prevalent (Matthew 24:7). The worldwide increase in AIDS deaths is almost inestimable. Over 160,000 Americans die of cancer each year.
10. The fact that God once flooded the earth (the Noahic flood) would be denied (2 Peter 3:5-6). There is a mass of fossil evidence to prove this fact, yet it is flatly ignored by the scientific world because of its uncanny implication.
11. The institution of marriage would be forsaken by many (1 Timothy 4:3)
12. There would be an increase in famines (Matthew 24:7)
13. Increase in vegetarianism would increase (1 Timothy 4:3-4)
14. There would be a cry for peace (1 Thessalonians 5:3)
15. The possession of Jerusalem would be at the center of international turmoil (Zechariah 12:3)
16. Knowledge would increase (Daniel 12:4)
17. There would be hypocrites within the Church (Matthew 13:25-30)
18. There would be an increase of religious cults/false teachers (Matthew 24:11 & 24)
19. The future would seem fearful to many (Luke 21:26)
20. Humanity would become materialistic (2 Timothy 3:4)
21. There would be many involved in travel (Daniel 12:4)
22. The Christian Gospel would be preached as a warning to all nations (Matthew 24:14)
23. The righteous would be hated “for God’s name’s sake” (Matthew 24:9)
24: And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring; Men’s hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken. (Luke 21:25-26).
25: Youth would become rebellious. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy (2 Timothy 3:2)
26: Men would mock the warning signs of the end of the age saying, “for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.” (2 Peter 3:4). The Bible even reveals their motivation, they love lust (verse 3). They fail to understand that a day to the Lord is as a thousand years to us. God is not subject to the time that He created. He can flick through time as we flick through the pages of a history book. The reason He seems to be silent, is because He is patiently waiting, not willing that any perish, but that all come to repentance.
End Time Signs as per Quran:
However, the differences are important to point out. Much of the Judeo-Christian teaching regarding these signs are based on frequent reinterpretations of vague Scripture. Whereas the signs enumerated by Islamic sources are quite clear and concrete, with little, if any, room for interpretation. In addition, the vastness of the material available within the Islamic tradition points to the finality of Allah’s Message.
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), the Last Messenger sent to humanity, said that Allah has never sent a messenger who did not warn his people about al-Masih ad-Dajjal (the AntiChrist). And it only follows that Allah would give the Last Messenger the most information relating to this subject, as his followers will be the ones experiencing these signs.
What follows is a small sample of the signs which Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) enumerated for humanity. They have been divided into minor and major signs…
The Minor Signs:
- The disappearance of knowledge and the appearance of ignorance (Bukhari, Muslim, Ibn Majah, & Ahmad)
- Books/writing will be widespread and (religious) knowledge will be low (Ahmad)
- Adultery and fornication will be prevalent (The Prophet, peace be upon him, said that this has never happened without new diseases befalling the people, which their ancestors had not known.) (Bukhari, Muslim, Ibn Majah, & Al-Haythami)
- When fornication becomes widespread among your leaders (The Prophet, peace be upon him, said that this will happen when the people stop forbidding evil) (Ibn Majah)
- Adultery and fornication will be performed in the open
- The consumption of intoxicants will be widespread (Bukhari & Muslim)
- Women will outnumber men……eventually 50:1 (Bukhari, Muslim, & Ahmad)
- Killing, killing, killing (Bukhari, Muslim, Ibn Majah, & Ahmad)
- People will beat others with whips like the tails of oxen (Muslim) ?The Slave Trade
- The children will be filled with rage (at-Tabarani, al-Hakim)
- Children will be foul (at-Tabarani, al-Hakim)
- Women will conspire (at-Tabarani, al-Hakim)
- Rain will be acidic or burning (at-Tabarani, al-Hakim)
- Children of fornication will become widespread or prevalent (at-Tabarani, al-Hakim)
- When a trust becomes a means of making a profit (at-Tirmidhi, Al-Haythami)
- Gains will be shared out only among the rich, with no benefit to the poor (at-Tirmidhi)
- Paying zakat becomes a burden and miserliness becomes widespread; charity is given reluctantly (at-Tirmidhi & Al-Haythami)
- Miserliness will be thrown into the hearts of people (Bukhari)
- Episodes of sudden death will become widespread (Ahmad)
- There will be people who will be brethren in public but enemies in secret (He was asked how that would come about and replied, “Because they will have ulterior motives in their mutual dealings and at the same time will fear one another.”) (at-Tirmidhi)
- When a man obeys his wife and disobeys his mother; and treats his friend kindly while shunning his father (at-Tirmidhi)
- When voices are raised in the mosques (at-Tirmidhi)
- People will walk in the marketplace with their thighs exposed
- Great distances will be traversed in short spans of time
- The people of Iraq will recieve no food and no money due to oppression by the Romans (Europeans) (Muslim)
- People will hop between the clouds and the earth
- A tribulation will enter everyone’s home (Ahmad)
- The leader of a people will be the worst of them (at-Tirmidhi)
- Leaders of people will be oppressors (Al-Haythami)
- People will treat a man with respect out of fear for some evil he might do (at-Tirmidhi)
- Men will begin to wear silk (at-Tirmidhi)
- Female singers and musical instruments will become popular (at-Tirmidhi)
- When singers become common (Al-Haythami)
- People will dance late into the night
- When the last ones of the Ummah begin to curse the first ones (at-Tirmidhi)
- People will claim to follow the Qur’an but will reject hadith & sunnah (Abu Dawood)
- People will believe in the stars (Al-Haythami)
- People will reject al-Qadr (the Divine Decree of Destiny) (Al-Haythami)
- Time will pass rapidly (Bukhari, Muslim, & Ahmad)
- Good deeds will decrease (Bukhari)
- Smog will appear over cities because of the evil that they are doing
- People will be carrying on with their trade, but their will only be a few trustworthy persons
- Wealth will increase so much so that if a man were given 10,000, he would not be content with it (Ahmad & Bukhari)
- A man will pass by a grave and wish that he was in their place (Bukhari)
- Earthquakes will increase (Bukhari & Muslim)
- There will be attempts to make the deserts green
- The appearance of false messengers (30 dajjals) (Bukhari)
- Women will be naked in spite of being dressed, these women will be led astray & will lead others astray (Muslim)
- The conquest of Constantinople by the Muslims (Ahmad)
- The conquest of India by the Muslims, just prior to the return of Jesus, son of Mary (peace be upon both of them)(Ahmad, an-Nisa’i, at-Tabarani, al-Hakim)
- When people begin to compete with others in the construction of taller buildings (Bukhari)
- There will be a special greeting for the people of distinction (Ahmad)
- The Euphrates will disclose a treasure (The Prophet, peace be upon him, said that whoever is present should not take anything from it) (Bukhari & Muslim)
- Two large groups, adhering to the same religious teaching will fight each other with large numbers of casualties (Bukhari & Muslim)
- Wild animals will be able to talk to humans (Ahmad)
- A man will leave his home and his thigh or hip will tell him what is happening back at his home (Ahmad)
- Years of deceit in which the truthful person will not be believed and the liar will be believed (Ahmad)
- Bearing false witness will become widespread (Al-Haythami & Ahmad)
- When men lie with men and women lie with women (Al-Haythami)
- Trade will become so widespread that a woman will be forced to help her husband in business (Ahmad)
- A woman will enter the workforce out of love for this world (Ahmad)
- Arrogance will increase in the earth (at-Tabarani, al-Hakim)
- Family ties will be cut (Ahmad)
- Men will begin to look like women and women will begin to look like men
The Major Signs:
Although they appear here in no particular order, it is important to point out that the Prophet Mohammed (pbuh) said that these last, major signs will follow each other like pearls falling off of a necklace…
- Masih ad-Dajjal (The AntiChrist)
- The Mahdi
- The appearance of Masih al-’Isa (Jesus Christ), the son of Mary (peace be upon him)
- Ya’juj and Ma’juj (Gog and Magog)
- The destruction of the Ka’bah and the recovery of its treasure
- Emergence of the Beast
- The smoke
- Three major landslides (one in the East, one in the West, and one on the Arabian peninsula)
- The wind will take the souls of the believers
- The rising of the sun from the west (It will be the Last and Final sign of the end & From here the door of Repentance will be closed)
After this the process of END begin.
- The fire will drive the people to their final gathering place
- Three blasts of the trumpet (fear & terror, death, resurrection)
We don’t need to believe in the Mayan prophecy of doomsday on Friday, December 21, 2012. Instead We can, through faith in Jesus, believe in the prediction that God will “ ‘wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.’ He who was seated on the throne said, ‘I am making everything new!’ ” (Revelation 21:4, 5).
And that “everything” includes our doomed planet!
- Apocalypse 2012: Panicked..doom It (shanepedia.wordpress.com)
- 2012 Doomsday: Who’s to Blame? (shanepedia.wordpress.com)
- Doomsday 2012: Asked & Answered (shanepedia.wordpress.com)
Along with thanks and compliments to the sources for the shared data
Creative Commons Copyright© Shanepedia 2012