MOBILE PHONE THEFT
There are a lot of people all over the world whose mobile phone was stolen or lost. You will be surprised to know that every year in Australia alone more than 200,000 mobile phones are reported lost or stolen. This equates to 4000 each week or one mobile phone handset every three minutes. Just think about how terrifying it would be in America and India.
The worst part is the sufferings of the peoples of thefts and loss of mobile phones?
It is difficult to assert but it would include:
- Inconvenience of being without a phone
- Loss of stored information
- Liability for call charges until the theft is reported
- The hassle of having to report the theft · Replacement costs of the handset
- Damage caused by thieves breaking into cars and homes etc.
- Sometimes phone thefts are also associated with personal assaults.
As mobile phone is a device which has its own serial number called IMEI we can do something to increase possibility to find it or to prevent usage of it.
But first of all the case should be reported to your mobile operator and to local police station. After this you can submit your phones IMEI number to global stolen phones database. A lot of people checks the database and can recognize their mobile before buying it from second hand (if it is submited in those sites database).
In India you can check you IMEI validity with operator if phone is stolen or lost.
All you need to do is to send a message with text IMEI to number 53232 or 57886.
You will receive response in few minutes.
Example of SMS with text:
(International Mobile Equipment Identity) is a 15 or 17 digit unique number to identify mobile devices, as well as some other devices. It is usually found printed on the phones back under the battery. It can also be displayed on the phones screen by entering *#06# on the phones keypad.
This is an example of the IMEI label on the phones back (under the battery):
Nokia 6020 IMEI label
IMEI NUMBER LOOKUP
If you want to find out your phone model and manufacturer from IMEI number then you should visit some sites giving the service like http://imei-number.com/imei-number-lookup/ is also a good site . This site claims a database of more than 90.000 TAC entries. You should be able to find out what is your model type.
IMEI VALIDATION CHECK
Visit sites giving the service for validation of your IMEI No.’s or visit: http://imei-number.com/imei-validation-check/
Here you can try if IMEI number structure is valid by Luhn algorithm. That does not mean that it will tell you that phone is not stolen or lost. It just check the number and check digit and write if it is structured as it should be.
You have to write in your first 15 digits of IMEI number in the given box (without any other characters – write only digits!) and press Validate IMEI
HOW TO CHECK IF PHONE IS STOLEN OR LOST?
visit sites giving the service for validation of your IMEI No.’s
Before buying a second hand phone you should check if phone is submited as stolen or lost. Simply enter its IMEI number in the search box given on the sites front page and press search
You can call mobile operators in your country and ask for IMEI number or you can also check the database of Stolen, lost and found mobile phones.
How to prevent thievery of Mobile phone
Mobile phones are our most valuable belongings (photographs, contacts, passwords…) which every man alive possesses, so we must be careful to whom we show that kind of stuff, where we leave our phones or if we lend them to someone.
* Don’t expose your mobile phone when you’re surrounded by crowd. One can steal it from you with some foxy plan or it’s stolen right from your hand if you are not paying too much attention to it.
* Leaving your phone in public places, even if you put it down for just a second on a table, a shelf, in a bike basket, or elsewhere, is not a good idea.
* Putting down your mobile phone on a table in a café is a bad idea, too. It can happen you forget it while leaving the place or it’s gone before you even notice it.
* Exposed expensive mobile devices, even if in your car can lead thieves to break in. The thief will damage your car and in the end your mobile device is gone too.
* Don’t bring your mobile phones to your workouts, to the pool or other public places, where you’ll put down your things. Keep watch on your mobile phone as you do for your wallet.
* Beware to whom you lend your mobile phone, even if he says he needs it for a phone call because he’s battery is dead, he has no money or even if he has to make an urgent call. There are many excuses and some of us believe them.
* Download mobile software for remote controlling to your Android, Windows or iOS. With this program you’ll be able to locate your lost/stolen phone. With sending a “silent” SMS you’ll get the location of the current user of your mobile phone or you’ll even be able to delete all of your data, block the phone or even sending a message to the current user. In some applications it’s even possible sending the data about the current location and the current number of the user.
* Younger minors shouldn’t possess smart phones. The theft will so be reduced and it’s possible that personal data won’t be abused – like e-mail accounts, photographs, and phone numbers.
*Download only verified apps.
* Lock your smart phone with a security code. You’ll remain the only one who can use it and also reduce the abuse of your SIM-card. This possibility offer older phone models too.
*To increase the finding of your lost mobile phone write down the next data:
1.your phone number
2. phone type and model
3. colour and other data
4. PIN-number or safety-code
5. IMEI-number (*#06*)
* Consider some more advices how to identify phones – On some phone parts, like the battery, you can write down your personal information. Sometimes it’s even good enough, if you hide a piece of paper with your info. Maybe the thief will feel guilty and he may even return it.
And if your phone really is stolen:
Immediatelly report the theft to the police and the phone operater. Reporting the theft will be used as your evidence of a missing mobile phone. That is important, if the thief abuses your phones mobile services, which would lead to shocking expenses at the end of the month. Only with evidence of a stolen phone can the operater exclude the service costs.
In India the best way is to do something by yourself. There is a lot of software on the internet which allows you to get information about the current user of your phone, location (if your phone supports GPS), to delete your phonebook remotely, to lock your phone etc
There are some useful software’s which can help you to “Trace your Mobile Using Imei Number” like the link given below
Mobile phone inspector utility generates complete report of mobile and SIM card phonebook entries, SMS capacity status and all other general information. Cell phone forensic tool displays detailed information which includes mobile manufacture name, mobilemodel number, mobile IMEI number, SIM IMSI number, signal quality and battery status of mobile phone. Mobile phone investigation program supports all major bands of mobile manufacturing company including Nokia, Haier, Motorola, Sony Ericsson, LG, Samsung, Spice, i-mate, HP etc.
* Cell phone inspector program generates complete mobile phone report in a text or html file for further reference. *Software is easy to operate so end user does not require any technical skill to use this tool.
Cell phone forensic software is freeware utility that easily extracts your entire mobile and sim related data including IMEInumber, sim IMSI number, phonebook entries with name and number, text message of all Symbian OS based Nokia mobilephones and other supported mobile devices. Mobile phone investigation application with source code in Microsoft Visual C++, MFC, embedded C++ is useful for organizations working on AT+CPBR, AT+CBS, AT+CSQ, AT+CIMI and many mobile technologies. Smart phone inspection program is useful for developers to take detail knowledge about various functions related to mobilephones such as CeCreateFile, CeCreateProcess, CeReadFile, CeGetDeviceId, CeFindAllFiles, CeRegEnumKeyEx and CeRegOpenKey etc.
Simrestore.com is global provider of data recovery software. We provide various kinds of data recovery software to recover data from Sim card, Mobile phone, Android device, hard disk, memory card and other storage device.
Sim card data retrieval software recovers deleted data from corrupted sim card of any country and network. Sim data restore program is fully compatible to work with all types of PC/SC or phoenix standard based USB sim card reader. Sim restore software retrieves your deleted read or unread text SMS, phone book saved contact numbers and other valuable data from sim card and save them at specific location on your computer system.
Android data recovery software is useful program to recover your deleted data from android mobile phone, tablet pc and other android technology based devices. Android data restore program provides various kinds of search recovery algorithms to recover your deleted photos, pictures, audios, videos, songs and other valuable data from android devices. Android file restore software recovers lost data in all major data loss conditions like accidentally deleted data, logically corrupted devices, improper use of android devices and more.
- Public warned over rise in smartphone thefts (irishtimes.com)
- Moves to block stolen cellphones (stuff.co.nz)
Along with thanks and compliments to the sources for the shared data
Creative Commons Copyright © Shanepedia 2012